If you're looking for a short-term vacation rental agreement template, you've come to the right place. This document is perfect for property owners and tenants looking to lease a property.
With this template, you'll be able to create a legally binding agreement that outlines the terms and conditions of your rental arrangement. So what are you waiting for? Here’s the flow of sample vacation rental agreements for your reference.
What is a short-term vacation rental agreement?
Short-term or vacation rental refers to a lease between a landlord and tenant for one (1) to thirty (30) days. These days, it is usual to have a rental agreement outlining all the details related to the rental agreement.
It is important to note that, unlike a typical lease, the landlord will be responsible for all utilities, services, and other expenses associated with the rental property. All applicable State laws must be followed as part of the agreement, and if the building was built before 1978, the Lead-Based Paint Disclosure Form must also be furnished with the agreement.
What should be included in your short-term rental agreement?
Here are the things you need to include in your short-term vacation rental agreement:
- Start and end dates of rent
- Rate of rental
- Full description of the property address
- Amenities that are included in your property, such as Wifi or kitchen appliances
- Maximum number of allowable guests
- House rules
How to draft a short-term vacation rental agreement?
Many websites offer a short-term vacation rental agreement pdf to help you start drafting. In case you want to do it yourself, here are the basic steps you need to follow:
- Basic knowledge of the local requirements: Before you start, you should check the laws applicable to vacation rentals in your state and locality. Some areas restrict, tax, or impose special requirements on short-term vacation rentals.
- Make sure to assess any possible liability: Consider the risk of damage or deterioration of your property as guests arrive and leave more frequently. To protect your assets and limit your liability, make sure you have an LLC on your rental property or update your insurance policy.
- Fill in the details of the owner and guest: Include the property owner's name and the guest responsible under the agreement.
- Provide a detailed description of your property: Provide the address of your rental property, the type of property, and the private or public facilities your guests will be able to access in your rental agreement.
- List down the information of your guest: The names of the guests of the rental party should be listed. In this way, you can be sure that the guests would not exceed its maximum occupancy, and you can charge them if anyone is not included in the agreement.
- Outline the house rules: Give the tenant a copy of your policies and include the penalties imposed for termination of the rental agreement if noncompliance occurs.
- Clearly explain the check-in and check-out policies: Explain how guests can access the property in the agreement and the arrival and check-in dates. Also, explain the process of check-out, where they should drop off the keys, and the proper cleaning they must do before leaving. Be sure to indicate any fees associated with lost keys in your rental contract if your renters need a physical key to access the property.
- Put in the payment details: There should be a clear breakdown of the rental price, including taxes and other charges such as cleaning fees. You should also include payment methods and the payment deadline. If your renter cancels without notice within sufficient time or if, due to unexpected circumstances, you may be required to refund their deposit in part or in full.
- The signing of the agreement: The parties should sign and date the agreement upon reading and accepting the rental agreement. As a landlord, you must give the guests a signed copy of the rental agreement and proof of security deposit payment.
Short-term vacation rental agreement sample template
Nowadays, renting your property is much better when you follow a vacation rental agreement template. Here’s a sample template that you can follow:
State of ____________, USA
VACATION RENTAL SHORT-TERM LEASE AGREEMENT
This Vacation Rental Short Term Lease Agreement, hereinafter referred to as “Agreement,” is entered into by ______________________ [name of tenant], a resident of __________________________ [address of tenant], hereinafter referred to as “Tenant” and by ______________________ [name of landlord] a resident of _________________________________ [address of landlord] hereinafter referred to as “Landlord.”
- The Property. The property is described as a/an ________________ [house, apartment, condominium or room, etc.] with ____ bedrooms and ____ bathrooms that is located at ________________________________________________________ [Property Location], hereinafter referred to as the “Property.”
- Period of Stay and Allowable Number of Guests. The total people in renting party consists of ___ Adults, ___Children, ____, and shall not exceed ____.
The rental period starts on the __day of _____________, 20____ at ____:____ ☐ AM ☐ PM and ends on the day of ______________________, 20____ at ____:____ ☐ AM ☐ PM.
- Rental Amount. The total rental amount for the period is ____________________ Dollars ($_____) or equivalent to ____________________ Dollars ($______) per night.
- Rental Deposit and other fees. The landlord reserves the right to retain the initial Rental Deposit after the said period prior to the rental start date. The amount is fully refundable up to _____________ prior to the start date. Moreover, the tenant will be required to pay during their stay on the property:
☐ Cleaning Fee: $__________
☐ Taxes: $__________
☐ Other Fees __________________: $__________
Total Deposit and Fees Due: $__________
- Termination of Agreement. Upon request, the Landlord may inspect the premises and make any necessary repairs with prior notice in accordance with applicable provincial laws. Suppose any of the terms of this agreement are violated by the Tenant. In that case, the rental period shall be immediately terminated in accordance with applicable law if such violations occur.
When this agreement is terminated, the Tenants waive all rights to process if they do not vacate the premises by the specified date and time. The Tenants must vacate the premises at that time and date agreed upon.
- Maintenance and Repairs of the Property. In addition, the Tenants must keep the premises clean and ready for rent and use them legally and carefully. The tenants must pay for maintenance and repairs if they leave the premises in a lesser condition. If tenants damage the premises or furnishings, the Landlord will deduct the cost of said services from the security deposit before reimbursing the deposit.
- House Rules. The tenant agrees to abide by the following House Rules at all times and shall ensure all rental guests and anyone else who is allowed on the property abide by them:
- A guest must be at least 21 years of age unless accompanied by an adult
- Pets are not allowed
- The check-in time is after 4 PM, and the check-out time is by 10 AM
- Check-in using a keypad
- It is prohibited to smoke (marijuana or tobacco cigarettes, cigars, electronic cigarettes, or any similar product generating smoke or vapor), attend parties, or participate in events involving smoking
- Between 10 PM and 8 AM, please be respectful of the neighbors and reduce the volume of your noise
- A keypad code is required for self-check-in
- The condo does not allow bikes, but the parking garage has bike lockers
- Please do not walk on the carpet wearing outdoor shoes
- A white bath towel will incur a 25$ charge, and a white hand towel or face towel will incur a 15$ charge.
- Subletting. No right of subletting shall be granted to the Tenant.
- Respect Quiet Enjoyment. Tenants are expected to behave civilly and respect the rights of surrounding property owners while remaining respectful of them. They shall refrain from creating noise or disturbances likely to disturb or irritate the surrounding property owners. As a consequence of creating a disturbance of this nature, this agreement will be immediately terminated, and Tenants will have to vacate the premises immediately.
- Landlord’s Liability. The Landlord's liability for personal injury or property damage arising from the use of premises is indemnified and held harmless by Tenants and Tenants' Guests, regardless of the nature of the injury or damage. The tenants explicitly acknowledge that any insurance the landlord maintains does not cover their personal property, so they should purchase their insurance.
- Attorney’s Fees. To enforce this agreement, the landlord will incur all reasonable costs, attorney's fees, and expenses incurred by tenants.
- Use of Property. It is expressly acknowledged and agreed that Tenants do not intend to use the Property as a residence or household or for commercial purposes during the term of this Agreement. Neither the tenant nor any other party may use the property for illegal activities. This agreement will terminate without a refund of rent and deposits. Marijuana, Cannabis, or similar plants may not be grown on the premises by the Tenant.
- Governing Law. This contract is governed by the laws of the state of _______________ where it was entered.
- Other Agreements. In addition, to the language stated in this agreement, the parties, Landlord and Tenant, agree to the following: __________________________________.
Landlord and Tenant agree to the above conditions on this ____ day of __________________, 20____ and hereby swear that the information provided is accurate and true:
Tenant 1’s Signature ___________________ Tenant 2’s Signature __________________
Tenant 1’s Print Name __________________ Tenant 2’s Print Name _________________
Date ______________ Date ______________
Landlord’s Signature _____________________
Print Name ______________________
We make it easy for you to find the perfect short-term rental agreement
If you are in the market for a vacation rental, it is essential to clearly understand what you are getting into before signing any vacation rental agreements. The best way to do this is using a short-term vacation rental agreement template.
A well-drafted agreement will help protect the property owner and the tenant from any misunderstandings or legal issues during the stay. At Uplisting, we can help you with a professional and legally binding short-term vacation rental agreement template that meets your needs. Contact us today to get started!